Monday, October 18, 2010

Liz Hurley Ribbon Run 2010

On Saturday, October 16 I participated in something that I have been eagerly awaiting since late July--the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run! It is a 5K run/walk that raises money for breast cancer research and imaging machines for our own Huntsville Hospital. This cause is very dear to my heart since my Granny died from breast cancer, my mom had a lumpectomy, and 2 of my aunts had mastectomies due to breast cancer. I also decided in July that I was going to run the entire race instead of just walking it like I have in the past. My friend, Shannon, and I started training in late July following the Couch to 5K Plan. Let me tell you...the first couple weeks we actually thought we weren't going to make it through the entire plan! But we pushed each other HARD, and we achieved our goal! I ran it in 34 minutes 09 seconds which was under what I thought I would run it.

And we're off!!! It was a sea of pink which was so touching. I got choked up as I started off just seeing all these women racing for a cure.

My sweet supporters

I was almost done here-can you believe the smile on my face?!? I was so happy to see the Finish line!

After munching on grapes and a banana plus downing some Powerade, I was ready to smile for the camera with my babies.

WE DID IT!!!!!!

Some of my other friends who walked or raced also. From Left to Right is TJ, Dechelle, Tasha, Jo, Nakita, Amy, Me, and Shannon.
Tasha just passed her 5 year Survivor Mark from breast cancer, and TJ is her daughter.

My wonderful family who has supported me through all the training and especially on Race Day! I am so blessed to have them! I only hope that my small contribution will prevent me and my daughter from having to suffer from this awful disease.

No comments: