Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mother's Day

I'm not gonna lie...I was really, really, really dreading Mother's Day this year. I know I have two of the most beautiful children that God blessed me with, and I was looking forward to opening up their presents and hearing them say how much they love me. But I knew that I wouldn't get to celebrate with my own Mama this year.
What I wasn't anticipating was the actual meltdowns I had leading up to the day. I think Friday was the worst. I was okay as I passed by the display of Mother's Day cards in Target on Wednesday--there were only tears in my eyes. And I was even okay as I picked out new flowers on Thursday to place on her grave (well, I did cry a little). But I heard a song on the radio Friday morning on the way to school that just put me over the edge. I cried ALL.DAY.LONG!!! You can ask my first-graders. They thought I had an eye infection because my eyes were so red!
But the crazy thing was...on Sunday...I had a small meltdown at the cemetary, but that was it!! But let me tell you why. My precious, sweet daughter who is wise beyond her years saw me crying and started to tear up also. But then she said the best thing ever.
"Mama, now Ma-Ma is up in Heaven getting to celebrate Mother's Day with her mom."
How did I ever get so lucky to get her?!?

Harrison was super excited to give me his present that he came running into our room and woke me up bright and early. He made a sweet card and decorated a heart-shaped cake from Publix for me.

I was lucky enough to get dressed before Caitlin gave me my present from her. She made a super sweet card in class and gave me a new iphone case in her favorite color: pink!

Randy (and Brady too!) gave me a new beach chair for our annual trip that is coming up on June 2. I can't wait to use it!!

The rest of our day was spent in Birmingham at the McWane Center. We had originally planned on going to the Zoo, but God had other plans. The Heavens opened up and rain came down most of the day. Luckily we had a back-up plan!
We then came home to Madison and got to eat a lovely Chinese dinner with Randy's mom to celebrate Mother's Day with her.
I know my day was much easier than I had expected because I was covered in prayer. I had so many dear friends text me during the day that they were praying for me. I just can't tell you how good that made me feel! God knew that I would need His help throughout the day, and He held me up just like I needed!

No comments: